Marsh Lake

Marsh Lake

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursday Supper

Yesterday afternoon I soaked some Navy Beans, then put them into the crockpot to cook overnight with some diced ham (just lunch meat), 1/2 chopped onion, one shredded carrot and some salt and pepper.  This morning we woke up to that awesome smell of Navy Bean soup.  So, that's whats for lunch.  If I were going off to work, some would have gone into a container with some crackers, but since I work at home, I'll just run up at lunchtime and have myself a bowl.  There is just something about hot soup on a cold day and I am getting better at making it at home.  There are a couple of tricks I have learned, though, that make it easier and tastier!
First of all, always saute (lightly fry) the vegies that you are going to use for your soup.  Second, add the meat last, as it will usually cook right into the broth if you leave it simmering too long.  Third, don't leave out the salt, and use a really good cooking stock that you can buy at any grocery store.
Enough about that, now on to dinner.  I was going to do a chicken stir fry over rice, but I remembered that I just bought some beautiful country style pork ribs the other day.  So, I think that I will have my husband smoke them outside on the pit (even if the high today is only 41 degrees), then I'll slow cook them in the oven for a few hours.  Along with that I will make some pinto beans and fresh potato salad.  It will be like summer in my house for a minute, anyway.
I will have the grandkids for the weekend, while their parents are away on a little hiatus, so I will try to put up a couple of recipes that are kid friendly, if anyone is interested.
TTFN

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I miss your potato salad! It's still the best I've had.