Marsh Lake

Marsh Lake

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Grandkids and the morning after.....

There is nothing like the warm sleepy kisses of kids ready (or already) in bed.  When you get to be a grandparent and only get it once a week, it is especially sweet.  Yes, the grandkids were over last night.  The kids came over after church and had dinner with us and left the kids for the night.  I made my famous "homemade chili".  All the years I boiled the beans and cut up the tomatoes and a couple of years ago I was craving chili dogs, but just couldn't do the canned chili.  So, I browned some ground beef with onions and fresh garlic, added a can of chili beans, a can of chopped tomatos (Ro-tel are the best, but a little spicy), small can of tomato sauce, and some chili powder.  Mixed it all up and simmered for a little while (it doesn't really matter how long), it's done as soon as you put it together.  I also heated up some homemade split pea soup and a batch of lima beans with leftover ham from the company party last week.  YUM.  Everyone had a little of everything.  The chili is gone, but the beans will just get better every day.
Back to those warm sleepy kisses and the grandkids.  No matter what time of day or night, their snuggles and hugs are for grandpa first, when he is around.  They both walk right past me to get to him if he's available and it never ceases to amaze me how they light up when he is around.  While I sometimes am a little jealous, and mutter "chopped liver" under my breath, I realize how fortunate we are to have him in our lives.  For me, he just makes it all better.  So, when I get up to find all three of them in his lazyboy, it is a sight.  Grandson's long legs are hanging clear down to the end of the chair and granddaughter is curled into a little ball, barely seen under the Jazz blanket she drags down with her in the morning.  My husband in the center, a content smile on his face as he kisses first one head, then the other, and squeezes them til they laugh.
Here's to many more mornings, many more bowls of chili, and warm sleepy kisses from children....

No comments: