Marsh Lake

Marsh Lake

Monday, December 21, 2009

You just never know..

Tonight I got to taste a little bite of heaven.  I ate the best tiramisu that I have ever put in my mouth.  And, all the more surprising, it came from an unexpected place.  My very talented son-in-law!  He made these individual desserts for a party that he and my daughter gave for their friends.  They were amazing.  Now, you should note, he has also made homemade double layer chocolate cake for my daughter's 30th birthday, and the cakes for our company party.  His wife is an amazing cook and so is his mother, so he knows what it takes.  But desserts are his thing.  He takes pride in what he cooks and I am just amazed.  So, guess what?  He gets to make the desserts from now on.  I have never been great at desserts.  Oh, I can make a carrot cake or follow the recipe for banana nut muffins, but this guy knows what he is doing!
So, it was a long, long Monday today.  Things that made it better:  seeing my homemade cinnamon rolls disappear first thing this morning.  Getting to play with my granddaughter in the office and watch her throw those amazing fits.  Talking with my daughter and son-in-law and telling them how proud of them I am. 
Waking up to my cup of coffee prepared by my husband.  Sending my son and his wife their Christmas package barely in time for him to get it before he heads off to Texas for the holidays (tee-hee).  Thinking of my other son and hoping this is a Christmas he will remember, for good or for bad.
Tonight was pheasant, because it was all that was defrosted in the fridge.  Wrapped the boneless, skinless breasts with bacon, seasoned well, and browned in a cast iron skillet.  Put in the oven to finish off for about 45 minutes with some quartered potatoes.  Warmed up leftover broccolli.  Made my hubby a miniature wedge salad.
But the grand finale, that tiramasu..... now that was something surprising and wonderful.  Tomorrow will be brighter now.

No comments: