Marsh Lake

Marsh Lake

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Why do we expect so little???

Suppertime, or dinner, means different things to different people. Sometimes it depends on where you are from, how you were raised, if you have kids or not. But normally, there is a ritual that people consider to be the evening meal. I'm not sure, but I think my kids all have a little different vision of this meal. Their visions are tempered by what they have done, and who is involved in their lives (and choices).
For instance, last night my husband and I took our daughter, her husband, and our two grandkids to a national chain sports "grill" for dinner. We were heading for the town Christmas Village to look at lights and no-one wanted to cook, much less do dishes. We chose this restaurant for it's proximity to our destination, as well as former experiences with this place. We were early, about 5 pm, hoping to get there early so we would be able to get on to the village before it got too cold.
Well, what can I say. Service was unbelievably slow, dinners all came out in the wrong order, youngest diner (2 yrs) got her mac and cheese last.
But here's the problem. NO ONE CARES anymore. The manager is full of excuses, waiter acts like you should be honored to be eating at this restaurant! This is happening so often now that we actually prefer to dine at home.
But, the other thing is this..... this restaurant was PACKED when we left, on a Thursday night! Unbelievable, but we seem to have evolved into people that are willing to settle. Settle for an alright dinner, alright service, alright everything.
Well, as of today, I am rebelling. This blog will continue to be about suppertime, whatever it may be, in my life. Maybe a recipe that I love, maybe some comments on a local place to eat, good and bad, maybe just about who came to dinner.
Oh, and by the way, we have the grandkids for dinner and I am making Pork Chops, yup, plain old, inexpensive, "put some meat on your bones" Pork Chops. Probably with mashed taters and gravy. Always with a veggie and a salad (this is all I will eat). But my husband knows moderation, as he is trim at 45, my son-in-law works hard, and my grandson and granddaughter will burn the calories off as soon as they leave the table. Plus, there's always leftovers with this meal...... lunch for tomorrow for the boys.
So, until tomorrow, may your suppertime be blessed with family and lots of delicious food!

1 comment: