Marsh Lake

Marsh Lake

Friday, December 18, 2009

What to say, when to say it....

The pork chops turned out great, according to the family, who ate them for dinner and again for lunch the next day.  Super simple recipe given to me by my ex-mother-in-law, I think.  Not sure I remember that far back.  Just brown the pork chops in a skillet with a little oil, meanwhile mix one can of cream of mushroom soup, one soup can of tap water, and one soup can of white rice.  Stir this mixture in a baking dish (9x13 usually works), place the pork chops on top, cover with foil, and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour!  Rice turns creamy and brown and the pork chops are super tender. 
So, how do we know what to say and when to say it?  I was never away from my kids for any length of time by my choice, but they seem to be so very different now from who they were.  Maybe they are too much like me, maybe I'm just sensitive, or maybe they've just grown up and become themselves.  Either way, I always seem to be saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.  My kids respond to me with anger and angst when I least expect it.  But I wonder, is it the way I am as well?  I am struggling daily to become a better person.  A better wife, a better mom, a better grandma, a better sibling.  It's really hard, though, changing old habits.  Lest you think I want sympathy, believe me when I say I don't think of myself as a failure.  Well, there have been a couple of things that I failed at, but I have overall had much success in my life.
Maybe I'll succeed at becoming a better person some day, stay tuned and you will see.
Until then, I wish you great food and even better family ties!

No comments: